Monday, May 5, 2008

Antique?

Today's local advertiser paper included this item for sale:
1950 Antique stove.

Excuuuuse me?

1950? Antique?

I was born in 1950.

I always thought that an antique needed to be at least 100 years old. Otherwise one could speak of vintage items (typically clothing) or classics (like cars). So I looked it up and discovered this definition:
An item which is at least 50 to 100 years old and is collected or desirable due to rarity, condition, utility, or some other unique feature. Motor vehicles, tools and other items subject to vigorous use in contrast, may be considered antiques in the U.S. if older than 25 years, and some electronic gadgets of more recent vintage may be considered antiques
Okay, so apparently if it is 50 years old -- and I am about to become 58 -- it can be considered an antique,and some items are antiques at 25 by American standards. (After all, when I was in Spain, I stayed in monasteries that were old when Columbus discovered the New World, so by European standards, the oldest American stuff is pretty recent.)

Maybe I am an antique, but the soul-satisfying part is that in that case, I am "desirable due to rarity, condition, utility or some other unique feature."

Hmmm. It doesn't say that the unique feature itself has to be good ...
-----------
The illustration is William Blake's watercolor etching, The Ancient of Days (1794). Although Blake may not have been a Freemason himself, you can see the Masonic influence in this image.
-----------
P.S. -- We saw the first bluebird of the season in the backyard this morning. He was particularly blue, and at first -- seeing him from behind -- I thought he might be an Indigo Bunting, which would have been totally cool. But when he landed, I could tell he was an Eastern Bluebird. The bunting is smaller and all-over blue. Wisconsin gets them in the summer, but so far we haven't spotted any.

No comments: