Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Bishop

Kristin called a few weeks ago to ask if I had been a bishop. I explained that I had not, but here is a picture of Bishop Michael Duca, who just became the second bishop of Shreveport, Louisiana. Michael and I went to seminary together in Dallas, and he always struck me as one of the nicest and most balanced men around. In recent years he was rector of that seminary. I think the people of Shreveport will be blessed to have him as their bishop.

The man who was rector at Holy Trinity Seminary when Michael and I studied there was Michael Sheehan, now Archbishop of Santa Fe.

Fr. James Orozco, who was a Carmelite student with me in Dallas, left the Carmelites to become a priest for the Archdiocese of San Antonio. It was my privilege to preach at his first Mass. He is now the Spiritual Director at Holy Trinity Seminary, where I was once among the spiritual directors.

The church world can be pretty small.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Vince always wonders if you knew his uncle, who was a higher up whatever-their-title-is at Holy Name Cathedral in Chicago. I tell him, "Probably...Uncle Mike knows EVERYBODY!"