Saturday, May 31, 2008

Small World Department


A couple came in to get tickets today, and as usual I aksed where they were from.

"We're originally from Wisconsin," she told me, "but now we live in Texas technically."

So I asked, "Where in Texas, technically?"

"Livingston."

Turns out that they retired to Livingston, which is their legal residence. But they have a motor home and travel around all the time, so they don't have a permanent residence there. But that is where they are registered to vote and so on. Hence the technically.

The small world nature of running into someone from Wisconsin who now lives not that far from where I grew up in Texas brought to mind a story about a guy I knew from Livingston my senior year. He was going to Sam Houston State University, and he came by Bookland during registration to get his books. Since MSU started later, I was still working there and he asked where I was going to school.

"Michigan State University," I told him.

He looked puzzled for a moment.

"Is that in the Panhandle?"

No comments: