Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Me and the Mystery Man


It's that time of year in America and high school graduates-to-be are sending out invitations to their celebrations. Today we got one from Hannah Sobojinski, daughter of the Jerry who farms across the road from us. He and Tom have known one another since childhood, and Tom always calls him a cousin, although I think they are likely eighteenth cousins, twice removed.

Anywho, Hannah sent an invitation for Tom to come to her party, a Wisconsin traditional pig roast -- I think it is called a sparnfarkel. (Sounds like a character from Laugh-In or Hee-Haw, doesn't it?) A sticky note attached to the invitation assured him that "This invitation also includes Robert."

Robert?

Although I see Jerry occasionally, I have only met his wife once that I can recall. Somehow, Tom tells me, she has it in her head that my name is Robert. He has gently corrected her, but apparently that name is permanently stuck in her memory.

As it turns out, I will most likely be working at the railway on the day of the party and Tom may be elsewhere due to a prior commitment. If we send a gift from "Tom and Michael", I wonder if Hannah will wonder where it came from.

1 comment:

Sank said...

I can't remember a name to save my life. I can totally see myself doing the exact same thing. Still, is better the thought of incorrectly than not thought of at all.