Thursday, May 22, 2008

Here we go again

Last night was like a scene out of Tom and Jerry , or maybe since both the cats are female, Thomasinas and Jerry.

I was reading in the living room and became aware of odd noises coming from Tom's (Scharbach, that is) office. I went to check and Sundance had cornered a tiny mouse behind a painting Tom has leaning up against the wall near his easel. I moved the painting so she could get at the mouse, but the mouse scampered right by her and went behind some other stuff. I left them to it. A few minutes later, she came into the living room with the mouselet in her mouth, but instead of dispatching it, she put it down to play with. Cats are clearly not bound by any international laws against torture. Knowing where this was going, the mouselet ran away again.

Eventually both Sundance and Cassidy were involved with the chase and I just went back to my book. After a while it got quiet, but I never saw any evidence then or this morning that they had won the contest. Perhaps more will be revealed as the day goes along.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I have noticed cats love to torture. Asterix found one mouse once which excited her so much she literally inhaled it.

I never was able to look at her the same.

But back to the torture.

Vince is new to cats so when one of the girls catches a fly he is relieved the chase is done. I tell him it is far from over. They enjoy letting it die slowly over a period of days.

I eventually have to finish it off out of ethics which doesn't bode (sp?) well with the cats but even bugs have feelings!