Friday, May 23, 2008

Willingly

I volunteered some time this morning over at the railway. It was not supposed to be open, but they had received a lot of calls and decided to open up anyway since so many of the volunteers were going to be there working to get things ready for tomorrow. I opened up the gift store and sold tickets and toys for a couple of hours and helped move some picnic tables around.

Roberta came in to take over so I could get to the library for my usual Friday volunteer stint there. When I walked into the library, they were having a blood drive in the large meeting room across the hall. And who was sitting outside signing people up? Dave Simerson, the head of operations over at the railway.

I have noticed that about the volunteers around here. People who volunteer for one thing tend to volunteer for other things as well. Dave volunteers time with the Red Cross, Roberta volunteers time at the Circus World Museum, Tom gives time to the railway and to the Stewards, people who help out at parish things help out with lots of non-parish projects and so it seems to go.

Of course, Tom and Dave are both retired and have more time to devote to various groups, but it is still pretty impressive to me -- though not surprising -- to see familiar faces at all sorts of places around here.

No comments: