Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Birds

This afternoon a male and a female oriole visited our feeder. They were pecking away at the suet. I am not sure whether to tell Peggy or not, since she claims we steal her birds and instructed me not to put out oranges to attract them.

Tom was out pulling dandelions this morning -- hardly making a dent, of course (dandelion comes from the French dent de lion, meaning "lion's tooth" because of the shape of the leaf) -- when I mentioned that a weed is just a plant out of place. Since he wants to maintain a natural look to the place, dandelions actually belong. I said we didn't have to worry about neighbors complaining that our dandelions were ruining their lawns because this is not a lawn-intensive road. He did think Peggy might mind, though, so I said we could tell her we were stealing her birds but sharing our flowers.

I don't think she would be amused.

No comments: