Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Where eagles fry

On Monday Tom saw an eagle when he was out along the river with Debbie. This morning I saw my first of the year when I was coming back from Baraboo. It was on the same stretch of County Highway A where I saw one last year. This morning it seemed to be chasing a hawk.

I had gone into Baraboo to help Evelyn with some computer questions, and I was happy to meet Regina, a paralegal who began work there yesterday. I am glad they finally have someone to help them out, and I wound up staying almost two hours to go over various things with her. She is originally from Tennessee, although she and her husband now live in Reedsburg. She is a pleasant woman with charming traces of her southern accent.

I also happened to find in the Baraboo library a copy of Fry Me to the Moon: An Illustrated Journey to Wisconsin's Famous Friday Night Fish Fry - and Beyond. I knew such a book existed and stumbled upon it online while looking for something else. I am disappointed to find that it has little information about the places listed, but it is an interesting resource for further monthly exploration of this part of Wisconsin culture. One quote to leave you with: "Jolly Bob's avocado and chutney catfish takes you back to an island paradise."

Seriously, avocado and chutney? And they call that a fish fry!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

For some reason, people find Southerners to be pleasant. I think its the accent more than anything. I can be rude as all get out but everyone will comment how cute it was.

Yankees!