Thursday, January 16, 2014

Oh, my!

This morning I took the Bookmobile to a local memory care residence. The woman who normally goes with me had called in sick, and I was alone. When I went in with the books and computer. one of the residents made an obscene gesture as I walked by her. I noticed, but just went to my table, sat my things down and started getting set up.

A staff member started chastising the woman -- who after all, does suffer from some form of dementia or Alzheimer's or she wouldn't be there -- and kept apologizing to me. I told her, "I've seen worse, I've heard worse. It's okay."

One of the other nurses chimed in, "Well, you're not the only one she does it to, so don't start feeling special!"

2 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Too bad that first staff member felt the need to chastise her... as if it makes a difference. I prefer the second nurse's reaction!

Michael Dodd said...

Totally, right? Since I am there frequently, I realize the stress that the staff members face daily. Yet I suspect that those survive best who learn to put more energy into caring for the residents and less into trying to change the residents in ways that are essentially doomed.