Sunday, January 5, 2014

Plodding along ...

In keeping with one of my resolutions, I have been tinkering with the novel for an hour or so every day. With the addition of the novella and the short story and my further fooling around, the word count is almost 80,000 as of today.

Taking seriously some remarks from a friend who read the draft, I have added a prologue to try to hook more interest at the outset. I like what I have written, and I think it helps. Even so, it fails to address all the issues he raised. So more work is clearly needed.

Or should that be, "Clearly more work is needed."?
Or maybe "More work, clearly, is needed."?
What about the placement of that question mark?
Or get rid of that passive construction and get active! "Clearly I need to do more work."

Clearly I need to stop this foolishness!

Hey, what's sub-zero weather for if not to trap you inside and force you to write?

Hmmm. What is sub-zero weather for? Or, to be more grammatical about it, why is there sub-zero weather? In the teleological sense, of course. What, if you will, is the final cause of sub-zero weather?

Someone, help me! I've started typing and I can't give up ...

1 comment:

Sunny said...

Round and round and round he goes...where he stops, no one knows.....

I could deal with a never-ending story.