Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Run out and get some now!


Kraft Foods says some customers may not be able to find Velveeta cheese over the next few weeks. A representative for the company, Jody Moore, didn't give any reasons for the apparent shortage, saying only that they happen from time to time given the "nature of manufacturing."
She noted that the lack of availability is more noticeable because of the seasonal demand during the NFL playoffs. The company has been airing TV commercials featuring a recipe for a chili con queso dip made with Velveeta.

I wouldn't want to be cynical, but the news says that Kraft does not claim to have actually heard of any such shortage and has not said that shortages have occurred in the past.

Sound less like a news release and more like a marketing ploy, maybe?

3 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

I tasted Velveeta once, and I'd just like to say, in my opinion, it wouldn't be a great loss if they ran out permanently.

Michael Dodd said...

Mitchell,
I loved Velveeta when I was a kid. It was the white-bread of cheeses, soft and squishy. Now not so much, of course. Just as I was once horrified to be served a turkey sandwich on plain white bread in an upscale Dallas hotel, I would be surprised to see Velveeta on a cheese tray.

[Maybe the hotel staff thought only a child would order a turkey sandwich and not a chicken fried steak sandwich like a man.]

People like Velveeta for its convenience. Since it has already been processed to death, it is easy to use in recipes like the dip thing.

One does wonder if if ever decays if thrown into land fills ...

Ur-spo said...

Thank you for stopping by today; I plan to pop in from time to time here. Velveeta has brought us together!