Friday, November 15, 2013

A trip and a bit of writing

The weather this weekend is supposed to be lousy -- rain and thunderstorms. So we took advantage of a beautiful day today to drive to Viroqua, a town about an hour-and-a-half west of here that our neighbors had told us about. We visited a great used book store which is located in an old tobacco plant and where local high school students were preparing to film a movie. Tom bought a book on Wittgenstein and I looked through their collection of Wicca-related stuff, thinking maybe I would get something to help with my novel. I decided I had more books from the library about Wiccans than I needed, though, and left empty-handed. Across the street was a flea market in another old tobacco company building, totally unheated and filled with amazing things. Some even at reasonable prices. We both left empty-handed there, although I was tempted by a variety of vintage clothing items. We had lunch at a very nice little cafe downtown; looked through some interesting art and other stuff shops. My favorite bumper sticker for sale: I'd rather be Amish. Then we wound our way -- literally, the road is winding as all get out -- back home.

We went out for Mexican food and then made a stop at Gander Mountain to see if they carry L.L. Bean  slippers. They don't.

When we got back I decided to do some tinkering with the book. So I wrote for a bit, adding some stuff I have run across about other odd belief-systems to flesh out the course the protagonist is supposed to be teaching. Word count at the end of the day: 53636.

So not too many words added but they do help flesh out the story. Progress, not perfection.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

I love Second-hand shops of ALL varieties!!!

Getting sooooo excited the closer to Nov it gets!!!!

Any more snow up your way??

Michael Dodd said...

Tom and I are big thrift store people, too. About half of my wardrobe is thrift store stuff, but good quality. Tom and Michelangelo taught me how to shop thrift stores after I left the monastery. I had done it for years, but they showed me where the good places were. It makes all the difference. I have an incredible authentic leather flight jacket with vintage military patches, and it fits perfectly. Cost to me -- $8.00.


Since the snow pictures I posted, no more snow. In fact, it is supposed to be in the 50s this weekend, though stormy. But it’s just a matter of time. One of the guys who cuts the deadwood off our property to use for home heating is here today, trying to get as much as he can before the weather gets too bad. Tom is outside playing with him.


I intend to do a bit of writing this morning and use the shut-in-by-rain time this afternoon to clean house. I figure there is no point in doing the floors until Tom has been driven back in by the weather. Otherwise, he will just track wet leaves all over the clean floor.