Thursday, November 7, 2013

Thursday's child has not-so-far to go. [Updated]

The library lunch interrupted my writing day, but I normally spend most of Thursday working at the library anyway. So today I had more time to write, a couple of hours before the lunch and a couple of hours after. Word count right now -- a bit before four p.m. my time -- 26,605. [UPDATE: At 7:00 p.m., 27,198.]

According to the NaNoWriMo calculator, if I were to keep this up, I would hit 50,000 words next Thursday. That may happen, which I doubt, but I don't think I will have been able to complete the story as such by then. If things do move swiftly enough, though, I may be able to complete the first draft and get it proofed and cleaned up a bit by the end of the month. At which point I will have to decide if I want to go public with whatever I have done. I have already promised one friend that I will send him a cleaned-up (that is, legible) copy when I am done, whether or not I go to the trouble of publishing. That will teach him to be a friend!

And because that same friend mentioned that my digressions on Woden's Day and Thor's Day might be signs that I am losing my wits, I will say nothing about Friday being Frigg's Day or that Frigg is supposed to be the wife of Woden/Odin and stepmother of Thor. You will just have to find that all out by yourself! I will say, however, that that is a picture of her spinning the clouds, and that my favorite thing about her is that she is supposed to have the power of prophecy but refuses to reveal what she knows. How's that for a cover story?

3 comments:

Sunny said...

Very informative on the days of the week names!!!
Oh- and BTW- I call dibs on a copy too!!! I'm all up in the interest of what's happening with the Wiccans now!!

It's amazing the wordcount.....How many words is it supposed to be? Paul did it and published his three or four years ago.......he's still getting "Royalty" checks ever so often!! I always looked forward to hearing his word count when I came in from work too!

I'm really getting excited!

Michael Dodd said...

Congratulate Paul on his book, BTW.

The goal for the month for NaNoWriMo participants is 50,000. That is for a first draft, of course. I think my DARK NIGHT mystery was about 60,000. So that gives you an idea of the size of book it would be.

I promise to email you a manuscript copy if I get it into reasonable shape. Last night I realized I had already poisoned the victim, at about the right place in the story arc for the climax. Unfortunately I had failed to introduce the poisoner into the story. So much of today has been spent going back and plugging up holes rather than moving the story forward.

Sunny said...

All part of the process, hun. Cant wait to read it!!!