Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Rainy days and Tuesdays always make me write.

 My friend Lee mentioned that I must enjoy writing to be going this fast on the novel. As I said yesterday, when it flows, it flows. Or to plagiarize the Morton Salt marketing people, "When it rains, it pours."

John of the Cross, when asked where he got the verses for his poetry, told the nuns that sometimes the words came and sometimes he had to search for them. That is pretty much the way with me -- not to compare my work with that of the patron saint of Spanish lyric poets, of course.

If I get started in the morning, it is pretty easy to crank out a few thousand words. More importantly, if I start in the morning, throughout the day I tend to come back down here to my basement office and plug away as ideas come to me.The end result is lots of draft, with the emphasis on draft.

At any rate, I am about to close down for the afternoon with a word count of 19,514, or an average for the five days of about 3,900 words per day. If I were to keep going, at the end of the month my draft would be well over 100,000 words long. I don't even want to think about editing something that size! So I won't think about it.

No comments: