Sunday, November 3, 2013

Because tomorrow I work all day at the library

Tomorrow I will be working all day at the library, or at least from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. This is a training day for staff, and I think I am supposed to give a session on how to help patrons download library books to things like Nook, Kindle and iPads. I know I once agreed to do this, but I am not sure it is still on the agenda. Whether it is or not, I will be tied up and have little time to work on the novel.

So I put the pedal to the metal or the fingers to the keyboard today and am proud to announce a word count of 12, 104 words. So I will be okay word-count-wise even if I don't do any writing tomorrow. On the other hand, today things really got rolling -- as that word count indicates -- and I don't want to lose the momentum. You know what they say about a body in motion ...

PS -- I also made two batches of fudge -- one with walnuts and one with a touch of peppermint. So I was able to send some down to Chicago with Peter for Jennifer and Parker. Tomorrow I will get Tom to take a batch next door for the neighbor kids.

3 comments:

Sunny said...

Wait what?? You made fudge?
*Runs out to the postbox to see if there's a package from Michael in it....*

*....comes back sorely disappointed......*

;-)

I'm like you Michael, I do my best work in the mornings(before noon). After that my creative bubble just seems to burst. Love that word-count going up!!
And one question....do you hate revising as much as I do? I figure the way I phrase something- I did it for a reason. I carefully think about my phrases and intentions.
I don't like editors at all. "This would be better if".....".change this to"......."you can leave this part out"....

Ummm, NO. I don't think so Editor Dearest.......if you're such an expert at how things should change to be a bestseller- show me YOUR published best seller and then we'll talk.

Sorry...that was a bit of a rant, wasnt it??? ;-)

Michael Dodd said...

Sunny,
If I thought my fudge would survive a trip across the pond, I would gladly send you some. But ...

I recently shared an H.G. Wells quote with the editorial director for whom I work. [Did you catch that: "for whom I work"? How editorial is that!] Wells said, “No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft.”

I do hate revising. Partly because I hate re-reading my stuff and second-guessing myself. But when I get going fast, the way I am with the novel at the moment, I am making so many typos and so many grammatical errors and so many stylistic stumblings that it has to be done. And if I don't do it, someone else -- whose passion will be to re-write ME -- will do it to me.

You may also know the famous line about how to revise your writing: "First kill all your darlings." That is, get rid of all those precious bits that you think are so great and just talk plainly.

But I find that half the fun of writing is playing with the language. I LIKE my darlings, some of them, anyway. And if I wrote plainly, I might have nothing to write.

Sunny said...

Exactly.....I don't mind correcting the typos, butI think the quirky turns of phrase is what makes each author unique- or not -depending on how good they are.
Did you do much editing on the Dark Night Murders? I loved the way you phrased so much of that book. Half that stuff was put in a way that made me go aha!!!
(Not in a laughing way but in a lightbulb over my head kinda way!!)
So please don't kill all your darlings!!!!