Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Wednesday is Woden's Day

The novel I am working on is about a sorority whose members are all Wiccan. The research on it is fascinating and so I am very conscious of the pagan remnants that surround us. The name of this day of the week, Wednesday, is connected to the Anglo-Saxon deity, Woden -- Woden's Day. More familiar is the Norse version of the name -- Odin.  Thor is his son. You know, Thor's Day -- Thursday. That's Odin in the middle of the picture there, from the Thor movie. Thor is the blond dude behind him and Loki, the bad guy, is on the other side. Loki is sometimes considered the devil-figure in Norse mythology, but it is more complicated that that. For that matter, Satan/Lucifer is more complicated in the Hebrew tradition than many people realize.

At any rate, none of this really matters in my novel. But all I had to do was remember it is Wednesday for my mind to wander in that direction.

On Woden's Day, I do tutoring for most of the morning. I got up early this morning, though, and did some writing, and then did a bit more when I got home. So the word count for today, boys and girls, is 22,673. Still averaging well over 3,500 words per day. And I think the story is developing nicely. I decided today I might not kill off the person I had chosen as victim. I think I may just poison him and put him in a coma, but he may survive. He's a bit of a jerk, so maybe he'll learn something from it.

But that may all change tomorrow.

3 comments:

Sunny said...

You are so dedicated!!! I love the premise of the book. My family on my moms side come from a long line of "Mountain Witches". None of us are actually witches(I think) but we all posess some special talent or ability that makes one wonder......especially when strange thing happen when more than three of us get together.
How did you research the Wiccan Community, if you dont mind me asking?
I've tried and it's a bit hard to pin down anything solid on the Wiccans.

Michael Dodd said...

First off, I am a librarian. Research is my game. So I searched the library's digital catalog and pulled up a number of books on Wicca, checked on Amazon to see if they looked reputable or at least serious, and ordered a bunch. To be honest, since I started doing this in October, a few weeks before Halloween, most of them were already checked out and I am still waiting for them. But a few arrived, enough to give me as much as I needed for a start for the book if not for a Wiccan group.

Second, I live on the internet and that's a great place to do research. Goggle Wicca and you pull up over 9 million pages. Of those the vast majority are junk, no doubt, but you can skim down the list and click on a few to see what's promising. BTW, Google "mountain witches" and you pull up even more pages than for Wicca.

Third, there are Wiccans who live in the area. Wisconsin seems to be a haven for covens, if I may put it so. Making it possible for me to ask real live Wiccans for recommendations.

Fourth, Wicca is fluid if it is anything, that much I have learned. One reason is is hard to pin down anything solid is that different Wiccan groups believe and practice some things differently than others. They seem to be pretty easy-going about letting whatever be, be -- which is more than one can say for some religions. One reason I am happy about that is that whatever I say in my book about what the ladies do at CovenAnt Hall, I can always claim, "Well, that's just the way they do it there."

And I can always suggest that people repeat to themselves, "It's just a book, it's just a book, it's just a book. A great book, sure. But just a book. I will buy more of this great book. I will tell all of my friends to buy this great book. I will buy many copies and give them as gifts. I will ..." Repeat as needed every night before you fall asleep. [Michael: Hee, hee, hee.]

Top recommendation: Do an internet search and just read around. Wikipedia is a good place to begin, always remembering that what you read there is just what someone put there. Maybe even someone like me ... [Theme from Twilight Zone playing the background.]

Sunny said...

LOVE it!!! And TY.....I'm off now to do some Googles. ;-)