Friday, May 29, 2015

A bit of a day

This morning I got in some writing before I went to the library for my volunteer work. That went well, the library being pretty quiet. Now you may think that it is not unusual for a library to be quiet, but trust me. It can get rather rowdy, especially when the children's librarian is having a story hour for preschoolers.

I don't know that I have a librarian voice. I certainly don't have the tee shirt. On the other hand, one night when it was time to clear the library for closing, I told some people who were loitering by the DVDs that they had to leave. I thought I was merely firm, but the other librarian who was there accused me of using my priest voice on them.

"These are not the DVDs you're looking for...", said with a slight wave of the hand. 
[Star Wars reference.]

Anyway, after working my way through the confused tourist traffic and the various road construction projects, I came home and did some more writing. Then lunch, after which Tom and I went to Baraboo. They are having their city-wide garage sales. We stopped at a couple of places, visited a number of garages, saw nothing we really needed or wanted -- although there was an amazing collection of Thomas the Train Engine trains, tracks and buildings that I failed to convince Tom his grandson (and maybe granddaughter) would want. 

Then a shopping trip, mainly for the bottled water that we like and that, naturally, the local Wally World has stopped carrying. We got home and unloaded water and the little chainsaw Tom bought. I gave the cats a snack, took a short quies* and then did a bit more writing. One reason for so much writing today, relatively speaking, is that a lot of things came to me as I was trying to get to sleep last night. 

Tonight "they" are predicting heavy thunderstorms. We'll see. Unlike Texas, we have not been getting all the rain threatened or promised. It does feel like it might rain this time, though. 
--------
*quies -- In the monastery the afternoon rest that followed the main meal of the day was called quies. Yes, it was the same thing as siesta but quies is Latin and sounds more seemly.

Once when I went into Little Rock to pick up something from the Discalced Carmelite nuns, Sr. Catherine was out front mowing. It was a warm early afternoon and I asked, "Sr. Catherine, don't you take siesta?"

She snorted and said with disdain, "Siesta's for the priests." 

She clearly meant "for weaklings."

No comments: