Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Pleasant day

It was 38 degrees [3.3 C] when I woke this morning and we had a wee bit of rain. It cleared up but stayed cool and breezy. So, no, Lee, I was not out back doing a happy spring dance among the birds and flowers. Nonetheless, I want to say thanks to all of you who posted congratulations or who sent me emails or snail mails to mark the day. You each made it a bit brighter and warmer! My brother even called to wish me a happy birthday. He is not much of a telephoner, so that was a happy surprise indeed. He and his wife had sent me a nice card earlier. She is always on top of these things.

I had the last tutoring session and little graduation for my student this morning. She was very pleased with the small gift, with the family pass that Tom sent her to use for a ride on the railroad and with the certificate I had made. Last week when her son's Head Start program ended for the summer, they gave her a certificate of thanks for all the help she has given other parents this year by translating and explaining things. We talked about finding a classroom setting for her in the fall, and she plans to continue using her CDs and working online.

Tom and John thought I shouldn't have to cook my own birthday dinner, so they took me out for Mexican food instead. Then we returned home for chocolate fudge cake with ice cream. Fortunately, despite the cool weather, I was able to get in my ten miles of walking today! 

A different group of wildflowers is now appearing. Tomorrow I will try to get out and take some photos to share. Of course, there is a frost advisory tonight. On the way back from dinner, we passed someone covering the plants in his home garden.

And finally, I end with the Gaelic prayer that Dean Withers put in his comment on an earlier post:

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
Deep peace of the shining stars to you.

1 comment:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Happy happy birthday! Two days late and two dollars short. As Calvin and/or Hobbes once said, "Today [OK, two days ago] is a good day to have a GREAT day."