Sunday, May 31, 2015

Empty3

My niece commented that she wondered what I have on my MP3 player. I know this is supposed to reveal all sorts of things about you, and mine does. But not what you might be interested in knowing.

Sadly my MP3 player -- also mp3, Mp3 -- is a cheap model. I bought it not to store music but for audiobooks. The problem is that it doesn't bookmark where I am when listening to a book, that it does not allow me to fast-forward or rewind easily at all, that it won't find chapter breaks. Did I say the problem? 

As a result, it has been a bit of a failure. I usually wind up downloading just one section of a book at a time to the player and listening to that part before deleting it and adding the next. Way too much trouble and so it lies in a box under the work counter in my office most of the time.

On the other hand, it does okay with music. But I am in such a habit of deleting that I don't store songs on it. Right now it has ABBA Gold. Great walking music, by the way, if I can resist the temptation to start dancing and scaring Jerry's cows or passing drivers. Once I tire of that, I will delete it and add something else. I know it will keep lots of stuff, but I am not a keep-lots-of-stuff kind of guy. Too many years in the monastery learning to be detached. Too many years working at the library learning to return items when done with them.

Not really a problem, not like having your home swept away in a flood or losing a job or discovering you have an incurable disease. 

By the way, we just got back from Wally World where I was told (by a friend who works there) that there is no dancing allowed in the aisles. I wasn't convinced.

1 comment:

Moving with Mitchell said...

I have an iPod. Video and everything. 60 gigs. Every couple of months, I take it out of the drawer, plug it in, and fully charge it. I then don't use it and put it back in the drawer. However, I've got a great eclectic collection... no videos.