Sunday, May 24, 2015

Culver's

Last night Tom grilled kabobs for dinner. Afterward he suggested that later we go to Culver's (a Wisconsin hamburger chain that has expanded into other markets) for a sundae. As a loyal customer, last week on my birthday I received a coupon from them for a free sundae and I had not used it yet.

When we went in, a young woman who often waits on us was training a new member of the crew. I handed over the coupon, they asked when my birthday was and oohed and aahed. After Tom ordered his sundae, they handed me the plastic number to use to get the order. The number was 66 and I commented that it was perfect because I had just turned 65 and was now in my 66th year.

The woman who waits on us all the time smiled and said, "You don't look 65."

It was sweet. Even though a fragment of my mind said, "She's angling for a tip!"

2 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

I'm regularly told I don't look 60... by people who are way south of 60. People my age don't seem to be surprised!

Michael Dodd said...

I suspect, Mitchell, that people my age know what 65 looks like. And young people probably don't look all that closely at old geezers like me anyway. (Notice I did not say "like us.") If I do seem younger (which is not the same as "look younger") to some folks, it is probably because I am playful. They may expect more gravitas in someone who has reached retirement age.