Saturday, May 19, 2007

Birthday ponies

This Tewa horse figure was my birthday gift from Tom. It is part of a series, "The Trail of Painted Ponies", and was designed in 2004 by Pueblo artist Tom Tapia. He used geometric and animal designs that have served to decorate Cochiti pottery for centuries. The Tewa are an ethnic group of the Pueblo American Indians.

Cool horse!

Now I have to figure out where to put it so the cats won't eat the feathers.

It's the year for e-cards. Mama and Daddy sent one early, because she wanted to make sure it got here. Cynthia sent a funny one from Ted and her.

I even got an e-card for my birthday from Noni Ham (née Blalock). Ted will remember her. Her father was our ophthalmologist and I went with her my senior year -- 39 years ago. Ouch! She married David Ham, a classmate of hers from Huntsville High, and they have a couple of sons. Noni and David got divorced a few years ago, and she lives in Austin and works with special-needs students in the public schools. She faithfully attends the reunions at HHS, and that is where she got my email address a while back. I hear from her occasionally and was thinking about her the other day because it had been a while. At one point it looked like she was going to marry another mutual acquaintance from school, but she hasn't mentioned that for a long time, so I guess it didn't work out.