Friday, May 25, 2007

Critter du jour

After saying goodbye to David and Rebecca this morning (they were returning to Chicago today), I left for work. At the intersection of Berry Road and Birchwood where I turn, I saw what I thought was a reddish dog coming towards me from a small meadow in the Springbrook Golf Resort. As it crossed the road in front of the car -- stopping to stare and vacillate which way to go -- she (I am pretty sure) turned out to be a red fox/vixen that I have seen on a few occasions near the same spot. She decided it would be safer to return to the subdivison rather than go into the woods, I guess, and she headed back that way. Once last year I saw her standing by the side of the road before pouncing across the ditch to grab something in her mouth. With her ears perked up, she looked cute as a bug.

I stopped at Wal-Mart to pick up a prescription on my way home from work at noon. I noticed that, contrary to experience and all expectations, the price of gas has dropped 5 - 6 cents a gallon here right before the holiday weekend. I'm not saying this has anything to do with recent discussions among lawmakers about investigating accusations of price-gouging...

And as I was finishing up lunch, Cassidy came in an dropped another garter snake in the middle of the living room. We may indeed start closing the cat doors and forcing them to come to the door on the deck where we can see what they have in their jaws. Or maybe I can get the fox to stand guard.

No comments: