Monday, May 14, 2007

Boy's toys

For the past couple of weeks, Tom has been pondering buying a motor scooter. The one he has been fantasizing about is the Honda Ruckus pictured. I have encouraged him to some extent. He is very generous to other people, but cheap when it comes to spending money on himself. "Prudent," he says. To-may-to, to-mah-to. Whatever.

When Chris was here, they talked about it. Chris has a big something-or-other, not just a little scooter. But I noticed Tom took notes about insurance companies and that he has been flipping through the Wisconsin Motorcyclist's Handbook. When I suggest he should do it, he gets all no-it's-too-dangerous. I realize that. I told him about Ted's two accidents and why I am a big believer in helmets and appropriate clothing when riding one of those things, even a small Honda. Anyway, we'll see what he is thinking when he gets back from his trip to Santa Fe.

On the way to work this morning, I pulled up behind a guy at the stop light where I turn left to get onto the freeway. He was on a scooter and was wearing no helmet, a short-sleeved brown shirt, brown shorts and athletic shoes. When the light changed, he flew across the road and up the ramp. I think he was doing at least 80 when he merged into traffic on the interstate. I saw him exit way ahead of me towards Baraboo, but by the time I got onto Highway 12, he was nowhere in sight. I think he may have turned off a mile or so up the road where there is a UPS place. He looked dressed for that. I hate to think what would have happened had he been in an accident, or even if he had just lost balance and skidded along the pavement on his side. I remember what Ted's helmet looked like way back when...

Boys and their toys!

No comments: