Friday, May 11, 2007

Excitement on the way to work

First, as I was on my way to work this morning, a wild turkey flew across Highway 12, managing to fly between vehicles in both lanes without changing direction or speed. It would have been a big mess had anyone hit it, or tried to stop abruptly to miss it. (So this is not exactly a post about birds, in spite of that picture.)

Second, as I passed the place where I normally buy gas, I saw that it had gone up ten cents overnight. This was particularly annoying because I was low on gas and had decided yesterday that I was going to wait until today to gas up for the weekend. When I got into Baraboo, I saw that the gas prices were the same as yesterday (still two cents higher than where I usually shop at the Ho-Chunk Nation's stations), so I went ahead and filled up. When I came back by the station in the afternoon, the price had gone up ten cents.

Most places around here gasoline is now $3.199. That is an increase of about a quarter in the last two weeks. Tom is not a happy camper, because he takes off on Monday for a long drive to Santa Fe to attend John's graduation from St. John's College on May 19. I'm glad I made my trip to and from Texas just as prices were starting to climb.

Now that Chris has taken off to return to Chicago, Tom has started packing for the trip. He was just patching up his suit bag with clear packing tape, and when he went to put it over the new sports coat he got for this occasion, the handle pulled out of the hanger and everything fell to the floor. Maybe not the best of signs!

The cats always know when something is up, and Tom being gone for over a week is going to drive them crazy. He is usually home all day, so when he is gone, it upsets their routine. Since I will be away at work during the days, too, that means they will be very demanding of attention when I get home. I hope it will be safe to sleep with my door open again. If I close it, they will just claw at the door or find a way to come through the screens. And give me one of those, "This is all your fault, you know" glares.

No comments: