Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Guests and other friends


Tom's daughter, Rebecca, and her husband, David, are here for a couple of days. Rebecca is a doctoral student in the divinity school at the University of Chicago and David teaches in a Hyde Park Jewish school. They got to relax around the house and go for a leisurely walk today while I got to work another long day at the office. Tom made a great pasta with pesto sauce for dinner and razzleberry pie. Scrumptious and just what I needed after work.

Joe has an all-day trial tomorrow and part of the day was spent preparing some exhibits for that and the rest of the day continuing to play catch-up. There's light at the end of the tunnel, and we hope it's not an oncoming train. He is determined that we will all quit at noon on Friday for a long holiday weekend. I have my fingers crossed.

Today I saw a Ho-Chunk friend I hadn't seen for a while. He is a fairly young man (by my standards, anyway, although he is already a grandfather), and he has cancer. When I first met him the doctors had given him about six months and he has outlived that prediction. But he recently lost 80% of the sight in one eye and is having difficulty adjusting to this new complication. It doesn't look like a good sign.

During dinner I got a call from a friend in Rhode Island (a woman I met when I was living at the nuns in Barrington) this evening, followed shortly by one from a college-age friend in California who is about to move to Texas. His parents moved there some months back, and now he is going, too, down near Katy. I can go for weeks without getting calls from anyone, and in the past week -- partly because of my birthday, of course -- I am getting them all the time.

No comments: