Saturday, May 19, 2007

The endless tale of the snake

You may think this is getting old, but trust me, you don't know the half of it.

This evening I went out to water the garden for a while. After that, I came back in to get a broom and sweep the front porch, which is small but everything seems to get blown up there and stay. When I came back out, there was Cassidy with another (the same?) green garden snake by the front door. I picked it up by the tail and tossed it out into the yard. Cassidy trotted off after it, poked it around for a while and then picked it up in her mouth and took it off to a bare spot. I thought she was eating it, but when I walked over later, it seemed intact and had its head held up alertly. It wasn't moving, but who knows? Sundance came over and sniffed at it for a while. I told them they were welcome to eat it but not to bring it back into the house. They gave me that feline "What are you yammering about?" look.

[Time passes.]

I just went out to sweep the garage and as I walked by a window I saw Cassidy trotting towards the garage and -- more ominously -- the cat door. When I went into the garage, she lay in the middle with the snake lying stretched out in front of her. It seemed to be alive but it wasn't moving much. I swept it out onto the drive away from the house and began to sweep the garage. Both cats came and stared at the snake for a while, then lay down and pawed at it. I finally decided to put the thing out of its misery and took a shovel and cut off its head. The cats promptly lost interest.

They're out in the woods again, stalking something to bring in when I least expect it.

If only they'd use their power for good -- like sweeping the garage or turning the sprinklers on and off.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

This is why you don't let cats out of the house. I know how they can't seem to get out of the trance though that even a glimpse of the outside world gives them.