Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Exhausted


Voter turnout yesterday in our town rivaled what we expect for a presidential election. About 75% of registered voters voted. This is an excellent thing, but we were a bit understaffed because we were not expecting so many people, and the work never let up. I worked from 6:30 a.m. until after 10:00 p.m. Needless to say,  I slept like a log, but am still tired. I plan to take a very leisurely day and recuperate. 

My niece asked how one becomes an election judge or official or whatever your local title calls it. In my case, I was simply asked if I would do it by the Town Clerk who oversees the process. I suspect this may have been because I always vote -- always -- and I always made a point of thanking the poll workers for what they do. Perhaps this got their attention. Probably, she heard that I had retired and would be free -- it is a small town, news travels fast -- and thought it would be a good idea to have a guy there among all the ladies. Whatever, it is a job I was handed and not one I sought.

In some areas, election officials are nominated by the political parties and appointed by whatever office is responsible for elections. I am sure it all varies. If you want to do it, one way would be to ask someone the next time you vote. Express interest. Find out who handles voting, contact them and find out what you can do. I know it is a challenge for our clerk to line up enough workers -- one reason we did not have extras hanging around yesterday in case they were needed -- and I suspect it is the  case most places. 

Never underestimate the value of a computer search, says the retired librarian: How do I become an election judge in your state. For example, googling "How do I become an election judge in Texas?" takes me to this helpful site on eHow

It is rewarding service as well as sometimes exhausting! Not all places expect you to work the entire day without even time off for lunch. [I have mentioned this before: At our place, they send out for sandwiches -- which we pay for ourselves -- and we eat while sitting at the tables and doing our work. Some places can afford to be nicer, I guess.] So you may be able to help out for four hours at a time or some such thing. Ask!

No comments: