Sunday, November 30, 2014

Digital detox

This morning while riding the stationary bike and surfing channels, I ran across an episode of a "reality" television program called "The Sisterhood" about a group of young women who are considering entering a religious community. As it turned out, the community they were investigating is one that I used to know well and where I had given a number of retreats. I watched a few minutes of the show to see if I saw any sisters I recognized -- which I did -- and to enjoy seeing their place right on the Hudson River where I had spent time.

In the few moments that I watched, the women were taken to the rooms they would use for the period of a few weeks and were asked to turn in their cell phones. This latter thing was obviously considered by them to be a wild request. What interests me is that I have seen online comments about the show in which this request -- that women give up their cell phones for a period that is set aside for personal reflection and prayer about something as significant at what they will do with perhaps the rest of their lives -- is often considered downright abusive. The sisters tried to explain the point, but it was obvious that some of the women found it hard to understand and were angry that it was being asked of them.

So what part of becoming a sister don't you think they understand?

It reminds me of a comic I saw where one character has decided to go into the forest to become a religious hermit. But he plans to take a keg of beer, his computer, lots of snacks and his cell phone along. When challenged about this, he explains that he will need all these to entertain his girlfriend. Well, der!

Today I read an article on the need for a digital detox. The author suggested six steps to take
Here are 6 quick steps to getting your digital detox started immediately.
Disclaimer: these steps are simple, but NOT easy. Use the opportunity of a digital detox to retrain yourself with new habits, to learn how to be with yourself in a new, more connected way.
1. Turn the phone off or into airplane mode before bed.
2. Shower and get dressed before you check your email or social media.
3. Resist the urge to check social media during a meal, especially dinner with family and friends.
4. Buy a real newspaper or magazine and get your fingers dirty from the ink.
5. Leave your phone at home or at the office for at least one walk or errand a day.
6. Stare into space at least one minute a day, without grasping your gadget. Call it meditating or simply "spacing out." Either way, it will be productive and challenge you to loosen your grip on technology.
Turn your phone off when you go to bed

Get dressed before checking email and Facebook? 

Leave the phone at home during a short walk?

How outrageous!

3 comments:

Robert said...

I'm going to try this tonight! I am way too attached to my cell phone and need to "cut the cord".

Of course it would help if I would shut my laptop as well.....

wait. lol

Michael Dodd said...

Glad to hear from you!

Kirstin Dodd said...

Looks as though I might already be on a good track.

If only I could get rid of this phone...

Love you and hope the weather is good.