Saturday, November 8, 2014

Progress, but certainly not perfection

It has been a productive Saturday. After my usual morning routine and after putting the first of two loads of clothes in the washer, I came down to the office and drew up a timeline for editing the novel. I spaced it out so that I would be done with the whole thing, including the final review, by November 21, the Friday before Thanksgiving, so I could send it off to the publisher that pre-holiday weekend.

Then I got down to work, running upstairs from time to time to put wash in the dryer, put another load in the washer, fold and put away dry clothes and so on.

I worked steadily, took a break for lunch, took several breaks to ride the stationery bike and now, at 5:00 p.m. as I get ready to go upstairs for the wonderful dinner Tom has prepared, I can report that I have completed the editorial work on 27 out of the 39 chapters in the book. I am, in other words, five days ahead of my schedule! 

The editing has been easier than I thought it would be, but then I had done a lot of work on the first 30 chapters already when doing the re-write. I suspect the most difficult thing now is going to be formatting. I have all the settings saved from the previous books I published, but formatting always seems to be something that computers mess up. (You read about Titivillus, right?) 

For what it's worth, the word count on  the novel is 94,265. The final volume will include a novella and short story, bringing the total up another 13,000 words or so.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Ahead of schedule? Holy Cow, Batman!! That's almost unheard of!! WELL DONE!!!!!!

Kirstin Dodd said...

Congrats!! You're too good!!