Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A bit fit

 My mother got me a Fitbit Flex for Christmas. For those not familiar with that, it is a device that one wears on the wrist. It tracks movement 24 hours a day, including sleep patterns. It has a simple display of 5 LED lights which indicate the number of steps taken in a day, and it vibrates to indicate that your goal has been reached. I picked it up yesterday and got it set up. This was a bit more complicated than I expected, but it got done.

So today was my first full day using it, and I am happy to say, I got in the recommended 10,000 steps. Now to see if I can keep that up. 

I also admit to being a bit startled when I hit my goal and the thing vibrated on my arm.

One nice thing is that when Tom built my office, he installed a counter as well as a desk. I asked for that arrangement because I had liked working in a similar space in the library. So I can sit and work at the desk, but I can also move my laptop onto the counter and do some tasks there, which allows me to walk while working.

Obsessive compulsive much?

3 comments:

Kirstin Dodd said...

I assume I take 100 steps a day. Hahahaha!

I think that's super cool. I'm curious how it reads your sleep levels.

I'm impressed she got you such a high tech gift.

Michael Dodd said...

Well, I told Mama what I wanted, ordered it and she made it happen. She had never heard of it, and I am not sure she knows exactly what it is now.

As far as I can tell, the sleep mode tells you how often you wake up and how restless you are. I am very restless and wake up a lot! This is old news.

Tom turns off the light and is asleep five minutes later. He doesn't wake up until time to rise and maybe rolls over twice all night. The cats much prefer to sleep with him.

Ur-spo said...

I gave Someone the same thing on his birthday last week. He is doing the same things you are.