Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Any New Year's Resolutions?


I usually don't make resolutions, although I sometimes do set goals.

According to a government website, these are among the most popular resolutions people make this time of year:
  • Lose Weight
  • Volunteer to Help Others*
  • Quit Smoking*
  • Get a Better Education*
  • Get a Better Job*
  • Save Money*
  • Get Fit
  • Eat Healthy Food
  • Manage Stress
  • Manage Debt*
  • Take a Trip
  • Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle*
  • Drink Less Alcohol*
*I volunteer one day each week as an English tutor and also at the local library and on other projects on an ad hoc basis. I have no personal debt, do not smoke and do not drink alcohol. I recycle, generally live frugally and save money. I am over-educated as it is! I am happily retired.
That leaves mostly things that seem to fall under a general category of healthy living. Eating healthy food and getting proper exercise ("get fit") undoubtedly are means to maintaining a healthy weight. They also help reduce stress, as taking a trip might do. 

All of those things -- healthy food choices, exercise, traveling -- involve a certain level of stress, but not all stress is dis-tress. These things are already part of my life, but they are on-going concerns.

I do not include a goal to publish another book this year, but it is a dream to at least finish writing another one.

So my real goal: be/stay healthy as I enter my Medicare years in 2015! And my Fitbit is already helping! Thanks, Mama! 

I do admit that the card below rings a little true.



2 comments:

Kirstin Dodd said...

This is my first time thinking about this. Let's see...

1. Get Winston here
2. Keep both children alive and well
3. Keep Brandon and I alive and well
4. Make it to 2016

Very basic, but very big with a new baby on the way.

Sunny said...

I have a couple of NYRs....

*to finally reach my goal weight
*to find time to be more artistic- be it by sketching, painting, or thru my photography
*to save more for a deposit on our own house and get out the rent-race
*to be a better person than I was this year

Not Necessarily in that order.