Monday, December 1, 2014

Lest I forget


Today is Worlds AIDS Day. I remember those I know who died and those I know who are living with HIV today. I honor the men and women who care for the suffering, those who work to find a cure and those who strive to educate people at risk in order to prevent more suffering. 


Mother of God,
Light in All Darkness,
shelter Him
our flame of hope
with your
tender hands.
And in our times
of dread and nightmares,
let Him be our
dream of comfort.
And in our times
of physical pain
and suffering,
let Him be
our healer.
And in our times
of separation
from God and one another,
let Him be
our communion.
Amen
The original of the icon above -- Mother of God, Light in All Darkness -- was painted by Fr. William McNichols and was commissioned by the National Catholic AIDS Network. A copy also hung in the offices of the Network in the building where I worked for Retreats International at Loyola University in downtown Chicago.







1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

this is a lovely prayer; thank you for sharing it.