Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Happy Hanukkah!

Hanukkah [Chanukah] starts on the Hebrew calendar date of 25 Kislev, and lasts for eight days. This year it begins at sunset Tuesday evening, December 16 and runs to nightfall on December 24.


I assume we all know by now what the Festival of Lights is about, so I won't do the whole exposition. This time of year Tom always keeps his eye on the television schedule for the only Hanukkah movie he knows (not, however, the only one there is) -- Disney's Full-Court Miracle from 2003. Think of a Jewish version of all the Christmas movies you see on television, and you have the idea. 

One-line summary: Jewish kids at a Hebrew school help restore the confidence of a black coach who helps them learn to play basketball while God comes through with a miracle to keep the lights burning long enough for victory over a rival school.




3 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Hilarious! I had never ever heard of that movie... which is not to say I'm going to run out and rent it... but still. Thanks for the heads up re Hanukkah! Without you, I would have missed wishing my mother a happy one! When I do, however, she will know someone told me.

Daniel said...

A fraylichen Chanukah to you and Tom, too! Hope he finds his movie.

Kirstin Dodd said...

I've seen it. Hahaha awesome