Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Christmas presence

Click on image to enlarge.

Because of a concatenation of circumstances, this year no one will be coming here for Christmas. Since no one will be present, we do not have to wrap presents, everything having been taken care of via mail.

Some years we let ourselves get completely carried away with gift wrap. One year we were so amused by Martha Stewart's absurdities that we did horribly elaborate wrappings as a joke, with all sorts of bric-a-brac. 




Then there was the year we had a Christmas-south-of-the-border theme. All gifts were wrapped in plain brown paper and tied up with red string to look like they had been shipped. We found images of Mexican stamps online and printed them onto labels to affix to the packages. Here are a few of them tucked under the tree, which was decorated with dozens of paper flowers we had made in the weeks before the holidays.


 It was fun but ridiculous. Rebecca said those gifts looked too nice to open. Not what anyone said, you will notice, about our faux Martha Stewart creations ...

6 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Your Faux Martha Stewart creations might have been more successful had you used paper made in your own paper mill and your own home-made foil. Real flowers (of course grown in your own garden) and then dipped in preservative are a fine replacement for bows... unless of course the bows are made of wool sheared from your own alpacas and then dyed and woven into traditional Christmas patterns...

Michael Dodd said...

You are right, Mitchell. I make a nice Greek pizza, but I suspect if Martha decided to make one, she would insist on transplanting millenia-old olive trees from Greece into her back yard to get the authentic flavor when she pressed the oil...

Lavada said...

Oh I love them ALL!!!!!! And yes- Martha is a teensy weensy bit on the absurd side- also the Barefoot Contessa is well on her way too......

Speaking of Christmas gifts....I got the Kindle version of your Wicca in Whoville(The paperback will soon follow after the holidays but I couldnt wait that long....) and I am enjoying it IMMENSELY!!!! I dont have much time for reading but am reading a few pages every day. I always hate when I get to the end of a good book- I feel sad that it's ended and I want to know how the characters got on with their lives...but that's neither here nor there....... I feel as tho I KNOW the characters in your book...they seem quite familiar somehow!!! :)

Michael Dodd said...

Sunny,
I am glad you are enjoying Wicca. I believe you do know Damien and Daniel. They tell me they keep up with your blog.
PS -- I believe you have already heard the two stories in the other WhoVille volume. Damien and I are pondering another WhoVille story, but it will probably take some time to gestate.

Sunny said...

I can see your Whoville stories becoming a series....have you read The Cat Who series by Lillian Jackson Braun?... also a fav of mine!!

Michael Dodd said...

I have read (most of?) The Cat Who books and stories. That may have contributed unconsciously to Damien's depiction of Spot's suspicious behavior in Wicca.