Friday, December 12, 2014

Words, words, words

ver·big·er·a·tion (vr-bj-rshn)
n. Obsessive repetition of meaningless words and phrases, especially as a symptom of mental illness.
 
This is the word of the day on my Dictionary.com app. I am not sure whether to be bothered by the fact that it showed up so soon after I posted about where I get my ideas for stories ...
 
I have to admit, however, that my first thought upon seeing it was of political speeches. 
 
The title of this post is from a song in My Fair Lady, "Show Me" -- 
Words, words, words!
I'm so sick of words.
I get words all day through
First from him, now from you
Is that all you blighters can do?
Don't talk of stars, burning above
If you're in love, show me!
Tell me no dreams, filled with desire
If you're on fire, show me!
Here we are together in the middle of the night
Don't talk of spring, just hold me tight.
Anyone who's ever been in love will tell you that
This is no time for a chat.
Haven't your lips longed for my touch?
Don't say how much, show me, show me.
Don't talk of love lasting through time,
Make me no undying vow;
Show me now!
Sing me no song, read me no rhyme,
Don't waste my time, show me!
Don't talk of June, don't talk of fall,
Don't talk at all!
Show me!
Never do I ever want to hear another word.
There isn't one, I haven't heard.
Here we are together in what ought to be a dream.
Say one more word and I'll scream.
Haven't your arms, hungered for mine?
Please don't "expline", show me, show me!
Don't wait until wrinkles and lines
Pop out all over my brow, show me now!

3 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Oh, how I LOVE that song! LOVE THAT SONG LOVE THAT SONG LOVE THAT SONG LOVE THAT

Michael Dodd said...

Mitchell,
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Ur-spo said...

I get the same words
Bless dictionary.com !