Saturday, January 24, 2015

Be a Star


I volunteered at the Kilbourn Public Library Open House this morning. The theme was "Be a Star @ Your Library" because the Library Journal again named our library to its list of Star Libraries.There are 383 public libraries in Wisconsin and KPL is one of only five in the state to be so honored this year.  

I demonstrated how to download library books to e-readers, computers and mobile devices. There were fewer inquiries than in the past. I think that is because this is no longer a new technology for people. Charles was demonstrating an app that lets people read magazines in the same way, and we discovered that lots of people are doing this already on their iPhones.

The turnout was so-so, although those who were there seemed to enjoy themselves. It was not the nicest weather, but at least there was no sleet or ice or heavy snow.

One of the women who came by for a refresher course on using her Kindle is a woman I also helped get a book ready for publication last year. She is now in the middle of her second book and thinking it may turn into two volumes. We had a funny discussion about writing and publishing and marketing.

7 comments:

Ur-spo said...

Anything and anyone who promotes reading is a star in my book.

Moving with Mitchell said...

I wish I lived nearby (OK... maybe not... I don't like the cold(; but YOU could move to Southern Spain... Anyway, I love that you do this. Love libraries. And would love to talk with you about writing, publishing, and marketing.

Michael Dodd said...

Mitchell,
If I could drug Tom so that he could endure a trans-Atlantic flight, I would move to Southern Spain at the drop of a paella pan. Then you could take me to all those wonderful places you go to nosh and imbibe, we could gaze out over the Mediterranean and I could rattle on endlessly from my boundless font of ignorance about writing, publishing and marketing.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Well, Lord Michael, if you need drug recommendations, just let know. I live with one of those types, too!

Michael Dodd said...

So my question to you Mitchell,is what your title might be? After all, your mother is a Dowager Duchess and Jerry has royal and holy blood flowing through his veins. I am sure you are a prince among men, but what else? You must at the very least be The Right Hon. ;-)

Moving with Mitchell said...

Oh, Michael. I thought, "The Right Hon"? Well, Jerry DOES often call me "honey," so I guess "The Right Hon" could work.

But then I got it.

Maybe I could be Lord Mitchell, Royal Consort, House of Geraldo

Michael Dodd said...

I have always thought Royal Consort a very sexy title!