Monday, January 5, 2015

More fun with English

As you know, I do some English tutoring for non-native speakers. This makes me pay attention to all sorts of things as my student brings me her questions each week at the beginning of our sessions. Most of the time, the problem is distinguishing two words that to her (though often not to me) sound the same or very similar.

This bit of volunteer work plus my inordinate interest in words and language as a  writer and compulsive speaker inclines me to notice other things she never worries about.

Every day now when I want to check the Fitbit to see how many steps it claims I have taken, I have to go to my laptop, click on an icon and then click on a button that says "Sync now." I know my student would confuse sync -- short for synchronize -- with sink -- short for (1) disappear beneath the waves or (2) a wide bowl or aluminum container that has a faucet for water and a drain at the bottom and is usually positioned in a counter.

That is not what catches my eye, however. It is the sentences that appear on the screen after I click the "Sync now" button: Searching for tracker. Make sure it is close to your Wireless Sync Dongle.

Make sure it is close to your Wireless Sync Dongle. I dread thinking what my poor student would make of that sentence. It sounds vaguely intrusive and improper.

In case you are also puzzled, I herewith provide you with this image and pertinent information, courtesy of the supportive folks at the Fitbit Help webpage. 

"The wireless sync dongle is the small USB device that comes with all Fitbit trackers except the Ultra and Classic.

"The wireless sync dongle should be plugged into your computer to link your tracker with Fitbit Connect, the software that operates the thing. Once your tracker has been paired to your Fitbit account, the wireless sync dongle is used to sync your data to your online dashboard and update your tracker. The wireless sync dongle must be plugged in if you would like to sync using your computer."

Note that the dongle must not dangle but must be plugged in.

Ain't English grand? Once you know what it is, you can communicate a lot of information by the simple phrase "wireless sync dongle."

Go forth and proclaim.

No comments: