Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Not an autobiography


A couple of years ago, I took advantage of the process for National Novel Writing Month to produce memoirs. One difference between memoirs and autobiography is that memoirs are generally more creative and literary. In recent years, some best-selling memoirs have turned out to be so creative that they were essentially fiction. Some would say my work was an autobiography in that it covered my entire life, up until the time I moved to Wisconsin at least. But it was rather rambling, the "story of my life" as I remember and understand it now rather than a detailed and objectively accurate history.

I have shared it with only a few people and do not intent to publish it in that form at all. I have, however, decided, with the encouragement of a couple of friends who read it, to use it as the basis for a novel. 

The novel will be in the form of memoirs and will incorporate a lot of autobiographical material, but it will not be an autobiography. My WhoVille books include a lot of autobiographical details, but are hardly autobiographical. I just use details from my life and experience to flesh them out. So it will be with this work, but more so. My life has been interesting enough to make the framework for a story, but in this case, I will need fiction to flesh it out into something that will hold the reader's attention.

So this is the writing project I am working on at the moment. Because I am modifying an existing text, the work is going fast and I hope to have a completed draft by mid-February. At that point I will get a couple of people to read it and see what they think.

I am not sure what it will be when I complete it, but it will not be an autobiography and it will not be my memoirs exactly. It will just be a book.

I hope!

2 comments:

Kirstin Dodd said...

Sounds yums!

Moving with Mitchell said...

I admire you for deciding to do this. I hope you enjoy the process! I think and think about doing this and never get very far. Right now, I've got about a dozen random chapters written with glaring holes between.