Sunday, January 18, 2015

Deer trails and tall tales

Today being in the upper 30s (about 2.8 C), Tom and I took a brisk walk down Berry Road after lunch. It is overcast and breezy, but it was not unpleasant and it was good to get out in the fresh air. Much of the snow cover is gone, but enough remains to make it clear where deer trails cross the road. There are several of these that come onto our property, and I have been making note of them so that I can keep an eye out for deer when I am driving at sunset when they are likely to be wandering across the roads. We see a lot of them, and just last week two ran across in front of my car. Fortunately I caught sight of them in time and was able to stop. I have yet to hit one, but just about everyone I know has hit a deer. 

The deer trails remind me of an old joke that I will render in terms of our locale: 

A woman moved from Chicago to the Town of Delton a few years ago. Near her new home on County Road P, there was a Deer Crossing sign. Eventually she wrote a letter to the Town Hall expressing her concern:
A lot of deer get hit by cars west of Birchwood Road on County Road P. There are too many cars to have the deer crossing here. The deer crossing needs to be moved to a road with less traffic.
Sincerely,
Abby Gale