Monday, January 19, 2015

Hello, Dolly!

Today [Monday] is Dolly Parton's birthday. Back in 2003, I was on the United States Captiol lawn on July 4 to watch her perform as part of "The Capitol Fourth" program. There were other people on the program but I honestly cannot remember a single person or group. When Dolly came onto the stage, everyone jumped to their feet and remained there for her entire set.

One October Sunday back in the 70s, my parents had occasion to give Dolly a ride in their GM motorhome. (The details don't matter, and it was a very short ride from where she was staying to where she would be performing that day.) She autographed a wall in the motorhome and had a photograph taken with my father. He proudly hung it in his home office. One reason I remember this is that the photo that had hung there before was of me in my Carmelite habit. He kept the frame, but Dolly took my place.

By my parents' account, she is something special indeed.

No comments: