Thursday, January 15, 2015

Bigger


There is a tavern in Lake Delton that has a 122-inch television (310 cm) -- mainly for sports, I imagine. I overheard someone talking about a football game the other day and his team had lost. "But I got to watch it on a 52-inch screen!" he said with delight.

It is not unusual for a home to have a 52-inch television (132 cm) if I am to judge from what I see for sale at Wally World. The television Tom won just before Christmas was 42 inches (107 cm) and not large by today's standards.

So why has so much effort gone into making the screens we watch bigger while so little successful effort has gone into improving what we see on those screens? 

Thanks to the miracle of High Definition, I can now see the pores on the faces of people who are yelling at one another in pseudo-reality shows about pseudo-relationships. None of this is entertaining and now the people aren't even pretty because you can practically see the brush strokes on their makeup and the fear in their eyes as they wonder if the show will be renewed.

We used to say, "If they can get a man to the moon, why can't they ...?" Now I wonder: "If they can make a 122-inch television screen, why can't they put something on it worth watching?"

No comments: