Thursday, June 18, 2015

Dental hijinks

I had my appointment with the dental hygienist this morning and it went well, as usual. These days I don't even get chastised about flossing.

Several years ago on a planet far, far away -- well, maybe it was Chicago -- I remember the hygienist giving me her usual lecture about flossing. I finally broke out laughing and told her I thought it was cute that she thought I was going to floss. She laughed, too, and told me that people typically floss for two weeks before seeing the dentist and for two weeks after. At some point along the way, I guess I was converted and now it is not an issue. 

On the other hand, for several years the dentist has been encouraging me to get a crown. I have a tooth on the back lower left side that consists of a thin veneer-like shell of original tooth filled with silver or whatever. Lately that tooth has occasionally been sensitive to hot food, and today I surrendered to the inevitable and scheduled an appointment to come back in two weeks and have the work done. The dentist assured me that I would be happy with the results, because the crowns they use are guaranteed unbreakable for twenty years. I told him that was more than you can say for me at this point.

Going to the dentist is just one comedy routine after another.

1 comment:

Kirstin Dodd said...

Proud of you for flossing!