Thursday, June 4, 2015

Thursday to-do's

It has been a pretty busy Thursday. The work installing the underground power line is still going on along Berry Road, and that has kept Tom fascinated and occupied. I fear he may be keeping at least one worker engaged in conversation full time, thus delaying the completion of their task. Whatever. They could always just jack up the noise level on the machinery to drown him out.

He very kindly moved my car from our garage over to Rich and Peggy's house before I even got up, however, because he thought the work might block access to our drive for part of the day, and he knew I had plans. To paraphrase the old Geritol slogan, "I think I'll keep him."

I did my usual morning reading-and-meditating routine. After that a little writing and forty-five minutes of walking, because I was going to be out of pocket for much of the day. Which leads to the plans about which Tom knew. (Yes, I am that grammarian.)

This morning I went into Reedsburg to see what Snap Fitness has to offer. I had been thinking of going to a health club to add weight-bearing exercises (as my doctor suggested) to my walking. While I pondered where to go, I received a card in the mail from my Medicare supplemental insurance provider that enables me to use the facilities in Reedsburg for free. A nice young man named Jeremy, who looked like a high school gym teacher, signed me up easily enough and explained what is available. It is mostly machines of many sorts and free weights. At the moment, they don't even have showers, although those should be finished later this summer. This particular place is bare-bones,  which is not true of all the outlets in the chain. It was, however, very clean and looked well maintained. There were people using it, but it was not crowded. It should be quite sufficient for what I need.

After that, I picked up my friend Kathie and took her to lunch. She lives on the outskirts of Reedsburg. We ate at a Mexican place that we both like. They were unusually crowded and service was very slow. The food, on the other hand, was excellent and we were mainly there to visit. Even so, it took us almost an hour and a half to order, eat and pay the bill. (And there were no margaritas involved.) I offered to take her grocery shopping after we ate, but she declined. She has had some serious health issues and can no longer drive herself anywhere. She was rather confused when we left the restaurant. She thought we were on the bookmobile and were going back to work. Fortunately by the time I got her home, she was okay.

I stopped at the supermarket and picked up a few things I needed. It was after two when I got home.

After putting things away and having a quick cup of coffee, I got in a short walk and some writing. Yesterday I finished drafting a brief but pivotal chapter. I am rather pleased with it. It contains important clues, but I don't think that will be clear until all is revealed later. Today I piddled around with another chapter, and that one is giving me some trouble. I know what has to happen, but it is not coming together. On the other hand, I had an inspiration that may help solve a niggling problem I have with the final resolution of the story.

But the good news is, tonight is Sheldon Cooper night. The bad news it that it is a repeat of an episode that is not among my favorites.

And for the life of me, I keep thinking today is Friday. And I thought Kathie was confused!

Yet somehow life goes on.

No comments: