Thursday, June 25, 2015

No wonder we have no idea what is happening in the world around us!


My homepage has a bar at the bottom of the screen that shows headline news. I am often baffled by these headlines for a number of reasons. One thing is that there are usually seven or eight of them, and I cannot imagine how these are chosen as the most important items of the day or the hour. They clearly are not based on my personal interests or computer search history. I have tried to turn the silly thing off or set it to find stories I would want to know about, but there seems to be no way on this particular page.

This morning, for example, there are seven items.
First, there is a story about an actor -- as usual, one of the annoying and arrogant ones -- who suffered a head injury while filming a movie.
Second, a story about the Grand Canyon being in peril because of mining and tourism development. This is part of an important larger story about how many of our national treasures, natural and historical, are at risk. This story deserves reading.
Third, a story about a television star talking about another television star who recently left the show.
Fourth, a story about old meat being sold in China.
Fifth, a story about an actor I have never heard of replacing another actor I think I have heard of in an upcoming film.
Sixth, a story about a new movie that apparently is exactly as funny as you would imagine such a sequel to be, which is to say, NOT.
And finally, a story about a child actor explaining why he dressed the way he did to attend the wedding of a couple whose only claim to fame is that they are famous.
To recap: five stories about the misnamed entertainment industry, one horror story about something happening on the other side of the world and one actual news story about something that might matter and that might move me to some sort of action.

Meanwhile children starve, old people die alone in overcrowded nursing homes, politicians fight to protect the gun rights of disturbed citizens and our globe grows incrementally warmer and more dangerous to our very existence.

But hey, what about that movie?! Pretty dumb, huh? Wonder how much it cost to make that?

Sorry, I guess I'm just in a mood. What's worse, it is only 7:30 in the morning. What will I be like by dinner-time?

Given the nature of this post, the font chosen for the blog title at the top of the page is Puritan.

3 comments:

Bob said...

It's true that what passes for news these days would make Walter Cronkite shudder.

Kirstin Dodd said...

Amen Bob, amen.

Ur-spo said...

stupidity and ignorance drive me crazy.