Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Wednesday wondering

When Tom checked his temperature this morning at 5:00 a.m., it was 99.1. Not perfect, but better. He took care of a few tasks, watched me mow the front yard after outlining exactly where I was to mow and then went back to bed.

Meanwhile, after mowing, I took a walk up to Lyndon Road and back, about half an hour, to get it in before the day heated up. I took more leisurely strolls under the shade of the trees that line our drive later in the morning. Today was the first day I haven't gone to the health club since Sunday, but I think I got in enough exercise. This is one of the days I would have only done the treadmill anyway, and between mowing, lots of walking and sweeping the long driveway, I think I compensated.

I woke Tom late morning to get him ready for his doctor's appointment. His temperature was back up to 100.She saw him right away, but we still don't know anything beyond that it is probably a virus.  Nothing has shown up in any of the tests, but he is still running a fever. She suggested a couple of supplements (not prescriptions) and told him to get plenty of rest. Since he has been spending about twenty hours a day in bed since Saturday, that one is covered. 

He has another appointment next Tuesday, and I think the hope is that this will have worked its way through his system by then. It all reminds me of a fever episode I had back in the seminary. After a week or so, it went away, the cause still undiagnosed and untreated except for Tylenol to bring the fever down. I remember they thought that one was probably the result of an insect bite, and that is one of the ideas they are floating this time, too.

Oh yeah, she suggested he eat chicken vegetable soup -- emphasis on vegetable. So we picked up the makings for that, the recommended supplements and a new thermometer. Tom has lost confidence in the one we had. Tom wants to avoid salt, so the case of Ramen I got him will have to wait for another time.

And we are back to hanging on and wondering.

In addition to mowing, walking and sitting in the lobby at the clinic, I also did some writing, making real progress on a short story for the Prior's cat book. And I put in some work on Wacky, too, so as not to get too far from that.

I am starting to feel a bit wrung out myself. I am not sure how much of it is warmer weather and more exercise  and how much is being unsettled by Tom's ongoing situation. He wore his "It Gets Better" t-shirt to the doctor's office. At least that is a sign of optimism. What is funny is that I had almost decided to wear mine!


2 comments:

Kirstin Dodd said...

Poor Tom.

Hope he gets to feeling better soon.

Love you both so much!

Anonymous said...

Michael, Sounds like you're doing a better job than I am on the health front. I can't seem to make myself find time for the gym. I recently purchased a membership, because my insurance company reimbursed me for it, but my best record is three days in a roll. (lol)

Hoping Tom gets well soon! Glad he has a diagnosis. My prayers and thoughts are with him!