Monday, June 8, 2015

Pact and medical update

Last night when we were at the emergency room ... Hmm. That would be a good beginning to a story. Oh, wait, this is a story. Only mostly true.

Last night when we were at the emergency room and a tech was getting Tom ready to go for a chest x-ray, Tom and I got into a bit of a disagreement. I said, "Well, we don't need to argue about it in public."

The tech laughed and said she had been looking forward to being referee.

Tom mumbled, "We don't fight."


And I told her, "We've had a pact from the beginning. When we disagree, I am always right and he can do what he pleases. It's a win-win, based on our different priorities. For him, it's more important to do what he wants. For me, it's more important to know I am right. And so far it has worked."
Oh, you want to know about the emergency room? Last night at a meeting I ran into a friend who is a nurse and who recommended that Tom go in and get Tamiflu or something. When I got home I went to check on him and he looked awful -- like something the cat would not have bothered to drag in to start with. We took his temperature, which was over 102, and decided to take him in. We have two Urgent Care places in the Dells, both of which had just closed. So we went to the Urgent Care/emergency room in Baraboo. He was seen right away, they ran blood tests, urine tests, x-rayed him, did a disgusting nostril swab thing to check for flu. We were there for about four hours. Bottom line: fever of unspecified origin, not a regular flu, possibly from an insect bite. They got his fever down, gave him instructions to follow up with his regular doctor within the next couple of days to get the results on blood cultures and so on. This morning he got up and ate something, poked around on the computer long enough to read email and then went back to bed. I think he'll survive. Sundance is keeping close watch.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Glad to know it's nothing really serious, though it was this that caught my eye:

"We've had a pact from the beginning. When we disagree, I am always right and he can do what he pleases. It's a win-win, based on our different priorities. For him, it's more important to do what he wants. For me, it's more important to know I am right. And so far it has worked."

I'll have to read this to Carlos because this pact should work well for the two of us!