Thursday, March 24, 2016

Because inquiring minds want to know


Bass is a name shared by many different species of fish. The term encompasses both freshwater and marine species, all belonging to the large order Perciformes, or perch-like fishes, and the word bass comes from Middle English bars, meaning "perch". Pictured above is a striped bass, AKA Atlantic striped bass, striper, linesider, pimpfish, rock, or rockfish Not a perch.

Perch technically refers to fish of the genus Perca, freshwater gamefish belonging to the family Percidae. Pictured below are yellow perches. Not a bass. Nor bass-like. Or perhaps they are, if bass are perch-like.



If it is any consolation to any of the fish involved, although I cannot imagine that it would be, apparently many fish are referred to as perch as a common name. although they are not perch.

I guess this popped into my mind because of the end of Lent.For what it is worth, there is as much ambiguity about exactly when Lent ends (or even begins) as there is about perch, perch-like and non-perch fish. For more than you ever wanted or needed to know about this, consult the Wikipedia article, bearing in mind what President Lincoln said:


This calls to mind something Tom says his kids tell him: "You don't know much and what you do know, you don't know very well."

My version is: "I don't know much, and what I do know, isn't true." 

I would say that this qualifies me for candidacy to high office, but that sounds like political commentary, which I strive to avoid.

Or, as I often say here, do I? 

No comments: