Sunday, February 1, 2015

Books in the snow

 At one this afternoon, I completed the novel. Well, completed this phase of it, but it is a complete 319-page draft, mostly tidied up. Now I will send it off to a couple of friends to read and see what they think. There will be things to do: correcting chapter numbering and chapter titles, checking consistency of names, and maybe more substantial editing before I can start the final format for publication. But it was nice to get this much done.

The snow continues outside. We have almost four inches on the ground now. Tom and Helen have decided to go for a walk. I noted that it is still only 15 degrees (-9.4 C) and I will stay inside to protect the cats. I stand ready to call out the sled dogs to rescue the walkers if need be.

Right now I am thinking of titles for the novel. I have divided the text up into six books, named for the first six books in the Old Testament: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy and Joshua. 
  • Genesis: Early life
  • Exodus: Leaving for university and university years
  • Leviticus: Entering monastery and seminary years
  • Numbers: Working as priest
  • Deuteronomy: Recovery
  • Joshua: Meeting Josh and starting a new life

Possible title: Benjamin's Tale: A Life in Six Books

PS -- Just as I was about to post this, I heard the door open and Tom and Helen returning. They said as soon as they got down by the pond the wind hit them in the face, and that was all she wrote. We are all hunkering down for the duration. Tom has had a beef stew simmering away all morning and the house smells scrumptious.

1 comment:

Lavada said...

I hope I am one of the lucky ones to get to purchase a copy of this up close and personal book. I find them to be the most enlightening and rewarding ones to read. Congrats on the work- and defo hunker down and relax!!!! xx