Tuesday, February 10, 2015

We fairies



This is the audition scene from the movie Were the World Mine. Timothy, played by Tanner Cohen, is auditioning for the part of Puck in his school's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. The rugby team waits outside impatiently to get into the auditorium. The movie is a riff on themes from that Shakespearean work.

Tom and I saw the movie several years ago, and I recently watched it again on Netflix. I had not paid close enough attention to the credits to realize it was filmed in the Chicago area. It always reminded me more of New Hampshire, I suppose because the prep school in the movie looked a bit like St. Paul's School. That was just down the street from the monastery of the Carmelite nuns in New Hampshire, and I sometimes wandered by the school when out for a walk. St. Paul's was originally an all-boys school, founded by George Cheyne Shattuck, whose family had a connection to another place in the New Hampshire that the Carmelite friars used to own. When I was vicar provincial, I was part of the negotiating team that sold the property.

If you have not seen this sweet movie, I recommend it. 

That rugby player is not short, by the way. Tanner is 6 feet 4 inches tall. (1.93 m)

For an earlier post about fairies, click here.

No comments: