Sunday, February 1, 2015

Flying high

Click on image to enlarge.

My cousin, Rusty-the-writer, posted this on Facebook today. It is about our great-grandparents taking an airplane ride to celebrate their 53rd wedding anniversary in 1938. They were married June 25, 1885! If you can enlarge it enough to read, you will notice the name "G.J. Dodd of Bullard." That was our grandfather, Gordon Jackson Dodd. My father, born in 1921, was among those 29 grandchildren. J.A. Dodd's name was James Andrew, and my father was named James for him. My great-grandmother, who is never named in the article, was Georgia Ann Wood Dodd. I think it is through her Venables ancestors that we get our imperial pretensions. J.A. died a few months after this flight, but she lived until 1953. I have no memory of her, but I would have been three when she died. I have a faint recollection of what must have been her funeral.

2 comments:

Kirstin Dodd said...

Love this! Super interesting!

So awesome we (the family) have something like this to look at and marvel at.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Wow! What a treasure.